Adding Regions to your Company is the second step in any domestic shipping setup, and depending on your shipping rate calculations the necessary number of entries could range from as low as 1 up to a few hundred. For this example we'll be taking a simple approach which is to add 1 region per state.
This region setup will allow you to specify a different method of calculating the shipping cost for each state. If this doesn't match your shipping situation you will find links to other examples at the bottom of this article, but if you are just experimenting with the Shipping component this is a great starting point.
To keep this article simple and easy to understand, we won't explain how to add Shipping Companies here, however one will need to be added before the example in this article can be followed.
Setting up the Shipping Company is a quick and easy step, you can review the Adding a Shipping Company article for instructions on how to do this.
The postcodes to be specified for each state are listed below:
||1100 - 1299
2000 - 2599
2621 - 2999
||2600 - 2620
||3000 - 3999
8000 - 8399
||4000 - 4999
9000 - 9015
||5000 - 5999
||6000 - 6999
||7000 - 7999
||0800 - 0899
Adding the Shipping Regions
For all 8 states there are 12 postcode ranges that need to be added. Complete the following steps 12 times, entering the appropriate state name and postcode range each time.
- On the Shipping Overview page you'll find a list of the Shipping Companies that have been added so far. Click on the "Add Region" button for the new company you added.
- You'll need to complete all the fields on this page as follows:
- Country: Select Australia.
- State: Select the state from the drop down menu.
- Region Name: This is the label for the Region, enter the same state you selected in the State field.
- Start Post Code: Enter the first post code for the state here.
- End Post Code: Enter the last post code for the state here.
- Click on Add to finish adding the region and repeat until finished.
The end result is that 12 new regions are added to the new shipping company, each assigned to 1 of 8 states allowing for easy identification when assigning shipping calculation methods to these regions.
Now that you have a shipping company with regions setup for each state, you can setup either flat rate or weight based shipping for these regions:
If the above shipping calculation methods aren't what you have in mind, you can consider one of the following region setups instead: